Tibial Plateau Fracture

Hello, I see lots of tibial plateau threads, but had some specific questions I did not see asked previously. Apologies for cross-posting or duplication.

I fractured my tibial plateau on December 10, 2008 and had surgery on December 22, 2008. I have been on crutches the entire time since the accident and naturally after the surgery. I have the L plate, 5 screws and bone graft combination. I go for my first follow up tomorrow with orth surgeon. I have been instructed for no weight bearing for 12+ weeks and at present (one week exactly from surgery) it looks like I can go 0 degrees (pretty much flat) to about 70 degrees (very slowly). I am using ice off and on and there is pain and "crackiness" in my leg/knee. I am trying to get down to bare minimum of pain meds... 1 percocet at night with a couple ibuprofen and sometimes a tylenol or ibuprofen during the day.

My question(s) is about continued use of ice - how often, when, where - and when to use heat - how often, when, where? I am also curious about what can be done for other parts of the leg (and other leg/body) to help support, strengthen and heal through this apparently long process?

Any advice or thoughts very welcome.

Posted By Stewart Sarkozy on December 29, 2008 at 12:49:48:

Indications: knee strains or sprains, chondromalacia, Osgood Schlatter's Disease (adolescent knee syndrome), swelling and edema of the knee, ligament instability, knee instability, recurrent knee pain, arthritis, degenerative joint disease.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on orthopedicquestions.com is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)