Hypothetical question for any PT

Suppose you were a physical therapist who was interested in determining if a new ACL rehabilitation technique helped soccer players regain their pre-injury performance levels more quickly than existing ACL rehabilitation techniques. For your research, you utilize a pre/post test of 1RM knee extension (using an isokinetic device) and, for your intervention, soccer players with the same ACL injuries are rehabilitated with either the new technique or an older, existing technique. Your results show that players who rehabbed with the new technique had a significantly higher 1RM than the old technique group after 6 weeks of rehabilitation. In addition, the 1RM of the new rehab group appeared to be almost the same as pre-injury levels. However, when these same players attend their first soccer practice, it is clear that both the old and new groups perform equally well (with respect to their soccer skills). In other words, your research suggested one technique was superior but this did not hold true in the actual soccer setting. What could you have done differently to ensure your results were a more accurate reflection of soccer performance?

Posted By Jeff on June 20, 2008 at 20:37:41:

Malleoloc for lateral ankle instability - Designed to prevent inversion and eversion, Malleoloc does not restrict plantar and dorsiflexion. Lightweight and streamlined. Excellent for sports use. Easily fits in shoe.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on orthopedicquestions.com is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)