Knee joint laxity

I've been having problems with my knee for the past year and a half. I had a small sprain of the ACL in january 2007 and since then things have got worst.
A bit of history... I did karate for some 11 years, which has given me very powerful legs but also very short muscles and a terrible posture. For virtually every movement I do, I compensate with some muscle that shouldn't be activated.

Now I changed sport, I do brazilian Jiu jitsu, that doesn't work out as much the legs. My legs are still very strong but they become very "loose" like the muscles have lost tone or turgidity. Both my patello-femoral joints are very lax, to the point that I had had subluxation on the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus of my knee a few times.

I don't know what to do. The exercises that make me feel a little better are stairs and leg extension, but I don't want to put a patch on the problem with these.

Can anyone give insight or suggest a book where I can read about such problems?

Thank you very much,


Posted By MatteoNYC on April 21, 2008 at 11:26:14:

Helps strengthen the kneecap mechanism by applying pressure on the tendon above the kneecap as well. This tends to reduce the forces of the quadriceps on the patella tendon and erosion of the under surface of the kneecap due to a possible misalignment of the quadriceps (Q-angle).

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)