Re: What is SLAP?

SLAP refers to a tearing away of the glenoid labrum (makes up the socket) of the shoulder joint. Superior Labrum Anteior to Posterior is what the acronym stands for. This means the top of the labrum tears (the are different degrees of severity). Hopefully you don't have this as it takes a surgery to tack it back to the bone and recovery time can be from 3-6 months. Typically with this, you have a nagging pain with usually pop or clunk when you move your arm certain ways or lifting weights. It causes instability of your shoulder joint as well making it easier for your shoulder to dislocate.

As far as rotator cuff damage if you are young it is unlikely you have a tear. It is possible but uncommon. If it is torn it is most likely a partial thickness tear which means it isn't completely torn through. Older people generally is where you see the rotator cuff tears. Can be seen on MRI with dye injected into the shoulder joint.

Tendonitis is what you should hope for. Although it may take some time and rehab for that to resolve itself.

Sounds like you need to see an orthopedic surgeon as they can diagnose those pretty easily.

Posted By Brad on April 11, 2008 at 15:53:58:

In Reply to: What is SLAP? posted by Lorri on April 07, 2008 at 18:34:52:

An ideal cushion to help preserve metatarsal phallangeal joint alignment (e.g. bunion deformity and post-operative toe drift).

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)