Re: nagging hamstring tear

If you tore your muscle significantly as in a grade 2 or 3 strain, you probably still have a good deal of scar tissue. Scar tissue is likea patch that your body uses to heal itself. Eventually through rehab, the scar tissue diminishes but is never completely gone. Scar tissue doesn't stretch like normal muscle tissue thus the recurrent problems. Scar tissue, however, can be broken down to a very minimum by stretching, exercise, ultrasound and massage. Being this long of a time, I don't know how much more it will break down but it is definitely worth a try. With bad hamstring tears that I have seen in the past, it has helped the athlete to stay on a maintenance program. This entails strengthening exercises at least 2 times a week for as long as they are competitive. I would stay on a stretching, strengthening and massage regimen for a couple of weeks. The best strengthening exercise that I have found is to sit on a rolling stool and pull yourself around until you are very fatigued and the hamstring is burning (we call it chair walking). Ultrasound therapy (from a PT) over the scar tissue may be beneficial as well. I wouldn't go back to competitive sports until you can run/sprint with no pain at all. This means that your body/hamstring is ready.

Posted By Brad on April 11, 2008 at 15:34:49:

In Reply to: nagging hamstring tear posted by mike on March 24, 2008 at 02:14:04:

Stabilizing ankle brace increases ankle stability. Perfect for playing basketball, volleyball or everyday activities.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)