Bulging disk or piriformis muscle?

A few months ago I was working outside all day, bent over. I had no pain or discomfort (aside from some really sore hamstrings), but about a week later I started getting some numbness in my right leg--not particularly acute or not constant. After about a month of this, my doctor got me an MRI. It showed some prolapse in one of the lumbar discs, but according to the doctor who gave me the scan, that injury happened at least six or seven years ago (based on calcification around the injury...and I remember that injury, it was quite painful and at the time I was told it a muscle spasam). But my doctor is convinced that this prolapse is the cause of my numbness.
I have no back pain and nothing like shooting pain in the leg, just inconsistent numbness (usually felt as pins and needles in the feet). I'm wondering, might this be something else, like, say, the piriformis muscle or another muscle that could cause this kind of problem?
If so, what would you recommend? Unfortunately, because of where I live (outside the U.S.), I don't really have access to a PT or athletic trainer.

Posted By Dan on February 23, 2008 at 06:19:38:

Designed for stability, comfort and fit, the Lace-up RocketSoc® is ideal for chronic ankle sprains as well as prophylactic use.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on orthopedicquestions.com is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)