Running with a bad knee?

I am a 42yr old over weight female with a knock knee. About a year ago I got a torn Meniscus and had surgery to correct it. After surgery I showed even more angle on the knock knee than prior to surgery. I am in daily pain but I still work in a physically demanding job and I try to exercise 3 to 6 times per week. I am over 30 on the bmi charts and comsidered obese. Prior to the torn Meniscus I was a runner but was down to running 3 miles daily 4 days per week. I have not ran more than 1 mile on a tread mill since surgury but have gone more miles on an elliptical and a bike. I would like to get back to running 5 and 10Ks but am conserned about the knee. They tell me that I will have to have a knee replacement with in the next five years even If I do not run. I dearly miss running and would like to take it from the treadmill back outside with longer milage. My question is with all of this in mind what are the possible repercussions from me picking up my milage and pace? I love to run and need to lose weight!

Posted By J. on December 20, 2007 at 13:09:25:

Ankle braces go on fast and the athlete does the applying so there is no waiting in line to be taped. Valuable trainer and coach time is saved when taping is eliminated. In an independent sudy of athletes Swede-O ankle braces were chosen as most comfortable.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)