Re: broken tibia

hi, i am 16 and I broke my tibia playing basketball. I just have a couple of questions. I broke my tibia because the ligament was so strong that it pulled the tibia down while i was jumping up and it snapped off. I have gone through physical therapy and this injury happened the day before easter. It is now November, I am playing and I still have a lot of swelling. I ice my knee every night especially because I practice 6/7 days of the week and I sometimes take a day off. First question I have is what kind of painkiller can I take that will reduce the swelling most. Another question I have is how long will the swelling last. My physical therapist said it would be there for about year. The swelling is sometimes worse than other days and I wear a compression sleeve on my knee. I also still havn't gained back all of my jumping ability (most of it) and my leg often hurts when pushing off of it on drills such as defensive slides. What more can I do to reduce the swelling and pain? Thanks for your time.

Posted By Ryan on November 07, 2007 at 23:36:35:

In Reply to: broken tibia posted by Mary Berikoff on August 30, 2007 at 23:48:23:

Features adjustable side pulls and spring steel stays for increased support. Cushions and compresses lumbar while retaining therapeutic heat.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)