Ankle brace

My daughter is a cancer survivor. A tumor damaged nerves in her lower back, causing weakness in her LEFT foot and ankle, and foot drop. Describing the weakness, she has full feeling in her leg, foot, and ankle. I’d estimate that she has full strength “pushing” down (similar to pushing on a car accelerator) but 20% pulling up. She also has only has 20% of the strength keeping her foot straight. Her foot “drops” inward when she walks, and we fear she’ll twist and sprain her ankle (or worse).

The doctors here had a brace “fitted.” Essentially it’s a piece of molded plastic with Velcro straps. It’s very uncomfortable. She often gets blisters etc. She’s nearly 14 years old and growing, so she also outgrows these quickly.

We looked through the site and there are a lot of braces. She liked the Donjoy stir-up (Universal Ankle Stirrup Item# D11-0629-9-06000). It looks like it would support her foot and ankle well, but we have concerns. The web site says its “universal” (left and right) and “one size fits all.” She wears a women’s size 6 ˝ shoe. Q: WOULD THIS FIT, AND WOULD THIS GIVE HER THE SUPPORT NEEDED?

She is also looking for something to wear at home, and spotted the Aircast Air Stir-up (Item# AirCast-02A-Left). This doesn’t appear to give as much support but may be ok for wearing around home where she is not as active. It may be more comfortable.

Your opinion? Are these good products for her? Are there better choices?


Posted By John on November 04, 2007 at 09:58:17:

The Calf Skin provides the calf with constant compression for both calf and shin area. Excellent in helping reduce shin splints, Bio Skin's light weight and low profile make it very easy to wear.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)