Re: Over use injuries

First, what is an overuse injury? The condition occurs when any biological tissue - muscle, bone, tendon, ligament, etc. - is stressed beyond its physical limit. This results in microtrauma to the body part; that is, microscopic tears which lead to small amounts of bleeding and swelling within the injured area. For instance, runners an d dancers frequently sustain stress or fatigue fractures, but musicians more commonly develop "tendinitis." The reason I put the word in quotes is that often the painful part is not the tendon itself, but the muscle which is attached to the tendon. However, since the word tendinitis is so familiar to musicians, we'll use it with the understandin g that it refers to the muscle-tendon unit.

Overuse injuries are classified as acute or chronic. The acute overuse injury occurs when a musician learns a new phrase or trill and is determined to master it before going to bed that evening. He practices it over and over again for three or four hours, and the next day his hand or arm is stiff and painful. The chronic overuse injury takes place more insidiously over a longer period of time. Such is the tendinitis that is first evidenced as a very mild discomfort and over the course of weeks or months becomes progressively severe.

Posted By M Scott PT on October 07, 2007 at 23:40:08:

In Reply to: Over use injuries posted by Maureen on October 01, 2007 at 13:54:28:

Pro-Tec Athletics' J-Lat Knee Support helps guide the patella back into proper alignment with gentle pressure from the lateral to medial direction. Compression surrounding the patella will help keep it in the patella-femoral groove.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)