Crushed heel Injury

My heel was crushed when a 1000 lb side by side ATV rolled over onto my left foot. This accident happened Sept 16,07. Cat scan revealed no broken bones. The outside of the heal sustained a circular blow out, much like a squashed grape, and required 5-6 stitches. The attending ER Dr. was concerned that the stitches might not hold because the flesh was like "Hamburger".

At present, the foot is still swollen in the area of the ankle which is very stiff. When the ankle is below my waste for longer than 90 seconds it starts throbbing intensely and is only relieved with elevation. The heal is numb from the middle- bottom of my foot, back to the vertical portion of the heal.

I am told to try and walk on it, take Phyisical Therapy and it should heal. I am concerned that it still throbs as mentioned, and is still numb.

Should I be more aggresive, seek further medical help, or just keep waiting for the swelling to subside. I am concerned about compartment syndrome, paralysis, and further complications.
Have I waited to long already? Have I underestimated this injury or is this normal?

Thanks for any information you may have,
Joe Carter

Posted By Joe Carter on September 25, 2007 at 14:09:28:

The Palumbo Patella Stabilizing Brace creates a dynamic, medially displacing force to the patella and allows functional activity while providing stability throughout the full range of knee motion.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)