Btoken fibula

It has just been confirmed that I have broken my right fibula approximately 1 inch below the knee joint. The accident happened exactly 1 week ago and because I initially believed the damage to be muscular i consequently did not visit the hospital and continued to weight bare - although minimal walking was carried out. On the occasions that I did walk a clicking sensation was experienced.
Upon visiting the hospital the examination concluded that I had not experienced the normal ankle trauma associated with this sort of break and that the nerve damge was minimal.
The doctor was reluctand to put a cast above my knee (as he believed this would freeze the joint) and said that if i could live with the pain I could keep it in a elastic bandage - i.e without a cast. In the end it was decided that they were to put a cast to the knee however it only was a half cast round the back of the leg and foot.
My questions are; (a) Did the bone begin healing as soon as the incident occured, or will this only happen now the leg is stable? (b) The doctor encouraged me to begin to attempt to weight bare with the aid of crutches following a week of rest, do you agree with this recommedation? (c) I was told that I could potentially go back to the elasticated bandage if I felt it appropriate - when would you advise this time to be?
Thanking you in anticipation

Posted By Danny Brooks on August 20, 2007 at 07:35:56:

Useful in treating the following knee conditions: Patellar tendinitis (Jumpers or Runners Knee), Osgood Schlatter's Disease, Chondromalacia Patella, Improved Patella Tracking.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)