Chronic calf pain (strain?)

I developed pain in my right leg playing tennis in high school about 5 years ago. I completely overused my right leg. When I played regular basketball in college, my right leg muscles were often stiff at the end. Warm showers never helped, but ice packs kind of did. I also remember having worse pain at the end of a day where I was sitting in front of a computer for the most part (not being physically active). The pain is in both my calf and my thigh (my hamstring i think), calf being worse.

Despite the pain, I've been told that my right calf is bigger than my left, and when skiing, I can tell that I am able to put more weight on my right because it is stronger.

I think, because of my overuse from tennis, my right leg muscles became stronger but also became 'permanently tight'.

So, unintentionally, I try to keep weight off of my right leg, and as a result I find myself kind of hobbling on my left leg sometimes, and I've been told that I walk with a limp.

Since I've had this problem for so long, I can see thats its never going to heal on its own. Please help!

Posted By amit on July 17, 2007 at 22:16:03:

McDavid Compression tops provide an entirely different type of support than traditional sports bras. Unique 4-way stretch fabric with Intera® is designed to move with the body and provides support in even the most high-impact workouts.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)