MRI result questions

I just had an MRI done the other day, and my family had the results faxed to our house. The results were also faxed to my ortopedics doctor, but he is very busy, so I was wondering if you would be able to help me out in figuring out what the MRI report means.

While I won't bore you with the "findings" of the MRI report it gives a section at the bottom called "Impression" which I'm assuming is the most important piece of the MRI. Here the "impression" is as in the report:

1. Incomplete vertical fracture of the patella and a reciprocal bone marrow contusion of the trochlea. Impaction fracture of the posterior non-weigh bearing surface of the lateral femoral condyle.
2. Tear of the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus extending to the root, involving the inferior surface. Status of post partial medial meniscectomy without residual or recurrent tear.
3. Mild diffuse interstitial tear of the anterior cruciate ligament.
4. Moderate sprain of the medial patellofemoral ligament associated with a grade 1 strain of the vastus medialis obliquus muscle.
5. Small joint effusion.

Once again, if you could just give me an idea what all of this means and what some possible treatments are, that would be great!

Posted By Jessica on May 02, 2007 at 17:13:59:

Helps strengthen the kneecap mechanism by applying pressure on the tendon above the kneecap as well. This tends to reduce the forces of the quadriceps on the patella tendon and erosion of the under surface of the kneecap due to a possible misalignment of the quadriceps (Q-angle).

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)