Type 1 radial fracture

does a type 1 radial fracture require surgery? here is the short story. i was playing basketball two weeks ago and i fell on my right side of my body, felt fine to keep playing but i felt a little discomfort in my elbow area on my right arm. so just kept playing a couple of games. towards the last game i felt a bit more discomfort. so just went home and iced it. next day it swelled up and bruised. ignored it for a couple of days then the pain went away. but i couldnt stretch my arm out completely just about 95%. after 10days i went to orthopedic dr. he said i had a small fracture. and i had two choices. surgery or go with this brace for 2 weeks then come back to see the progress. i really dont want surgery just because i dont want to deal with arthirtis in the future. and would prefer to heal this naturally.especially that it not major since i was doing my reg. routine while it was fractured. my question is do these type1 fractures usually heal with a brace? and if it doesnt show up as healed on the xrayy in two weeks should i keep it on longer. i dont feel a type 1 fracture requires surgery. it will eventually heal on its own.

Posted By zak on August 10, 2012 at 09:23:17:

Bio Skin compression shorts offer a significant advance over other brands. They supply superior compression to the groin and hamstring without the bulk of the typical compression shorts.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on orthopedicquestions.com is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)