Rotator cuff stretch causing discomfort

I'm trying to determine why I feel discomfort with a specific rotator cuff stretching exercise, and why I have somewhat limited mobility in that same (right) shoulder.

The stretch that causes some minor discomfort is the one where you reach across your chest with your arm, placing your hand/wrist over the other shoulder, while using your free hand to pull the elbow towards you. If I do this with my left arm there's no discomfort. With my right arm it is a little unpleasant but I would not call it painful.

Also, when I do the "towel stretch", I have limited mobility. With my left hand I can reach back and touch my middle back without a problem. My right hand however cannot reach as high on my back. I can use the towel stretch to pull my right hand to my middle back but this too causes slight discomfort.

I stretch my right shoulder every other night or so but have not seen any improvement in my mobility or a reduction in the discomfort with those stretches.

I would like to know which rotator cuff muscle(s) cause this and what else I can do about it. I'd like my right shoulder to be fully mobile and free of discomfort like my left one.

Posted By Barry Anderberg on March 15, 2010 at 14:03:30:

Silicone inserts leave the epicondyle pressure-free and provide an intermittent compression to the soft tissue of the joint, leading to increased circulation, thus aiding in the resorption of swelling and edema.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)