Swollen fingers with knuckles that bow inward

Good evening,
My daughter is being evaluated by several spesensoredts for a host of symptoms and actually has been misdiagnosed in the past with two different autoimmune diseases. She has one symptom that seems to have the spesensoredts stumped, except for one rheumatologist that she saw earlier this week.

My daughter's fingers (all of them on both hands) started looking very puffy and swollen about 2 years ago. Also, her knuckle's bow "inward". It's quite unusual looking.

This particular rheumatologist ordered a lot of bloodwork, but she seems confident that it will all come back normal, and she says her physical exam was almost "super" normal. She went on to explain that my daughter's joints seem to move beyond the "normal human limits". She seemed impressed with her flexibility in her shoulders, in particular.

She seems to think that my daughter has hyperextended joints and that it could also have caused her fingers to become fat and puffy looking.

There has been no injury, and my daughter is not athletic, nor does she attempt yoga or any other form of exercise that might encourage hyperextension.

We're quite puzzled by this. What do you make of it? If you agree that this could be possible, what treatment would you recommend?

Thank you for your response!

Posted By Teresa on February 20, 2010 at 21:30:31:

Designed for stability, comfort and fit, the Lace-up RocketSoc® is ideal for chronic ankle sprains as well as prophylactic use.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on orthopedicquestions.com is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)