Therapy Years after Injury

I have a question about the usefulness of starting therapy years after injury. I smashed just below my kneecap into a curb two years ago, resulting in a bone contusion. They gave me a ditto of exercises, but I did not do them because a) it was for runner's knee, and I felt like the people at the urgent care were just grabbing something remotely related and it did not necessarily relate and b) it seemed to get better just fine and c) they were exercises--who wants to do those? The only thing is, I don't know if it's the rain or the cold, but during winter here in Portland, OR, it tends to hurt often...the impulse is to want to keep that leg stretched straight out, especially if I'm bending down. It's a sort of dull, angry ache. question is, realizing the most opportune time has long passed (and assuming the exercises would have helped), is there any point in doing them now to alleviate things? It's not debilitating or anything, but I am concerned that at 37, the level of discomfort will become so when I am much older. If you suspect the exercises may be of use (I realize you cannot say definitively), what sort of schedule would you recommend, and should I also do them in the months where there is no pain?
Thanks so much for your time,

Posted By Andy on November 30, 2009 at 13:28:39:

The built-in arch stabilizer provides support for greater stability. In addition Tuli's Stay Fresh Fabric is made with bacteria and fungus inhibitors which reduce unwanted odors.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)