Re: foot drop, AFO and shortened heel cord

I always have the AFO on unless it is when I am in physical therapy and they need me to do something with it off and in that case they physically brace my ankle for that minute or so.

The falls are...hmm..largely I would say they occur when I am in a place not so familiar (eg:not home} or in a hurry. I can't tell the position of the right foot and sometimes it is too close, or pigeon toed in or whatever and I step on it with the other foot. I have a hard time sensing my position so as i fall I am not certain immediately where I am going. My hands are on the walker so I can't really pinwheel to catch all happens very quick. Either I manage to immediately avert the fall, if it is not split second, it's too late. The prostetist who made the current AFO says some of the balance problems that are not stumble related are because of the short heel cord. It just makes a rough situation more difficult. I was wondering if there were other types of AFO that might work differently.
My insurance covers that very poorly so I was trying to hold off making another appointment unless i knew something that might work.

Posted By JK on June 23, 2007 at 14:58:07:

In Reply to: Re: foot drop, AFO and shortened heel cord posted by M Scott PT on June 18, 2007 at 23:36:46:

Silicone inserts leave the epicondyle pressure-free and provide an intermittent compression to the soft tissue of the joint, leading to increased circulation, thus aiding in the resorption of swelling and edema.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)