Exercising with a Torn Meniscus

I have a tear in the meniscus of my left knee (posterior horn of the medial meniscus per the MRI report) with some mild-moderate joint effusion. The MRI also shows that I have tendinosis/tendinitis in the tendons of the patellar attachment of the distal quadriceps. I think the injury was originally caused by using too much weight on a strength training machine at my gym. I have finally succumbed to the pain and have scheduled arthroscopic surgery for next month.
In the meantime, am I making things worse by continuing to exercise? Walking, standing and putting full weight on that leg are what hurt the most. The treadmill and the elliptical machines are definitely out at this point. I find I can exercise on the recumbent bike and do most yoga postures with my favorite instructor without pain, although hours later I do hurt. I am not so sure I wouldn't hurt anyway since I often wake up in the morning with pain before I've done anything. Do you think I should keep exercising to continue to strengthen the muscles around the knee and make my post-surgery recovery easier?

Posted By Ellen on September 07, 2009 at 14:55:57:

The built-in arch stabilizer provides support for greater stability. In addition Tuli's Stay Fresh Fabric is made with bacteria and fungus inhibitors which reduce unwanted odors.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Physical Therapist ] [ Disclaimer ]

    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on orthopedicquestions.com is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Ask the Physical Therapist (Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainer)
Ask the Orthotist (Orthopedic braces and supports specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)