Nerves and the digestive tract

I am in the middle of doctor's visits and various tests to resolve the root of digestive problems (nausea, acid reflux, pain, gas, some constipation, strong headaches esp. after consuming anything. (I've eaten healthy for decades, but much about my body has changed since menopause). A primary care team noted "a mild old compression fracture at T-12 and mild multi-level degenerative changes to the thoracic spine (MRI). I have still to see a gastro specialist where I hope it can be determined whether I am still producing adequate digestive enzymes, but a neuro-specialist recently completely nixed the idea that anything going on in my back could be causing digestive problems stating that "no nerves from the stomach go through the spine, but directly to the brain." In looking at a chart of the autonomic nerve system, it looks like that is only true of the parasympathetic system (??), not the sympathetic. MY QUESTION: Am I completely off base in thinking that the nerves at T-12 might be compressed enough to be influencing digestive function? If that proved to be the problem, is this reversible without invasive measures? Thank you for any help/suggestions/useable info. you can provide

Posted By Sylvia Bauer on April 07, 2011 at 00:51:57:

Designed for stability, comfort and fit, the Lace-up RocketSoc® is ideal for chronic ankle sprains as well as prophylactic use.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Chiropractor ] [ Disclaimer ]
Follow Ups
Post Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ask The Chiropractor ] [ Disclaimer ]


    We offer you an opportunity to ask specific questions to knowledgeable professionals. Any information posted on is intended for general informational purposes only and is not medical advice, and should not be construed as medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. See your health-care professional for medical advice and treatment.
Foot Forum (Foot-Podiatry specialists)
Ask the PT-Athletic Trainer (Sports Physical Therapy specialist)
Ask the Chiropractor (Back and Spine Specialist)